08 Oct Kale Salad Recipe with Apples and Cheddar
For the popular and trending Kale Salad recipe, the one that caught my attention is Martha Shulam’s recipe for New York times.
Kale has many health benefits.
Kale is high in fiber, has zero fat and is low in calorie. Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef and more calcium than milk. Iron is essential for the formation of hemoglobin and enzymes, transporting oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth, proper liver function. Calcium aids in preventing bone lost, osteoporosis and maintaining a healthy metabolism. It is also high in vitamin K which is necessary for a wide variety of bodily functions including normal bone health and blood clotting. Kale is also filled with powerful antioxidants such as carotenoids and flavonoids which along with vitamin K help protect against cancer.
One cup of kale is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids, which help, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders. It also reduces your cholestrol levels. Vitamin A in kale helps your skin glow, enhances your vision and help prevent lung and oral cavity cancers.
Vitamin A is great for your vision, your skin as well as helping to prevent lung and oral cavity cancers. While vitamin C is very helpful for your immune system, your metabolism and your hydration.
Now that we covered some of the magical benefits of kale, let’s get to the kale salad recipe of our choice:
Kale Salad Recipe
For a kale salad to be successful, use the most tender kale you can find and cut it into very thin filaments or chop it very finely (or both). Curly kale and Russian kale are more tender than black leaf kale.
- 4 cups very finely chopped or slivered curly kale or Russian kale (about 6 ounces on the stem, or half of a 3/4-pound bunch, stemmed and washed in two rinses of water)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted almonds
- 1 apple, sweet, like a Fuji, or a sweet-tart, like a Gala, Braeburn or Pink Lady, cored and cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 ounce sharp Cheddar cheese, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 very small garlic clove, puréed
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiana (Original recipe: Parmesan).
- Combine the kale, almonds, apple and Cheddar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, salt, garlic and olive oil. Add to the salad, and toss well. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
- For best results, serve 15 minutes after tossing with dressing.